Wednesday, January 15, 2020

RIP Grandma Vada

My daughter in law's sweet grandmother passed away last weekend and the funeral was today. 

She was a lovely soul who impacted hundred of kids as a school librarian and fiercely loved her family - including those of us that were family by marriage and extension.   As soon as JC and Angie started dating and they realized that I was a widow without family close by, her family just swooped me into the fold.  I am invited to every family meal and celebration without fail and a huge part of that was how the matriarch of the clan acted.   I addressed her formally as "Mrs. Perrenboom" the first time I met her and that lasted all of about ten minutes before I was instructed to call her "Grandma".

I will miss her a bunch.  Her obituary

2 comments:

  1. I think that is so sweet when the in law family becomes your own - I don't have that kind of relationship with my daughter's in law (the one that lives near by) but I did have it with my other daughters mother in law when she was alive - we even went on an overnight quilt show together and talked now and then even though we were 2 hours apart in driving distance. My sister has the kind of relationship you have with her son's in laws - they welcome her to everything - she is single like you although divorced and alone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very blessed with my son's choice of a wife. Vada and I really bonded over having been younger widows with son(s) still to raise. Her late husband was military, mine was law enforcement. And she was always so interested in whatever hand work I had with me at various family gatherings.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.