Sunday, February 16, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching - February 16, 2020

Most of the crafting this week was on Millennium.   This is just shy of five hours, not a lot of the mountain left! 
I cast on a pair of socks since the Christmas Carpenter's Wheel is getting so big that it isn't really a travel project any more.

And I have a design wall!!!  It's rough, I need more command strips to get that one panel straight and there are two more panels to install up high.  I will eventually want to wrap each section in warm and natural batting so that I don't have to pin the blocks in place, but it will work for now. 

I'm just starting to lay out "It was the 80s" to check color placement and final decisions on the rest of the sashings and which way the center will go.  Getting the rest of the blocks up is today's project (along with more Millennium).   See what the rest of the Slow Sunday Stitching crew is up to in today's link party.

8 comments:

  1. I can't tell in the photo - is that circular needles for your socks - there is a conversation going on in a facebook group about the best needles for socks and I haven't made any yet. I'm wondering but there are so many opinions LOL I would think circular would be easiest but some say 4 needles and to me that would be hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, these are being done cuff down with magic loop on a pair of fixed circs 32 inch, size US 0 since the yarn is very skinny. However, I learned to knit socks using a set of five double points (one for each quadrant and one to knit with. Eventually you will want to learn both techniques and both toe up and top down.

      My best advice is to start with a Christmas stocking or a pair of worsted slipper socks. Something in worsted weight so you can focus on the construction without worrying about the tiny stitches. Also do at least one hat in the round to figure out how to cast on a circular project.

      Delete
  2. What a perfect name for that quilt in those colors. My first quilt (started in 1985) was in exactly those colors. I love that you have a design wall. I like the idea of wrapping the pieces in batting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabrics and some of the blocks are actually from a class that my late husband gifted me around 1986. The quilt from that class had an encounter with a puppy. I couldn't bear to trash the damaged quilt, so I deconstructed it and reused what I could, adding in stash fabric in that 'faded denim' blues and tone on tone cream. I'm hoping it all comes together - this is my first 'orphan block' type quilt.

      Delete
  3. Your stitching is really moving along - the mountain is emerging! You'll enjoy that design wall, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have needed a design wall for some time. I will eventually move this to its final home when I turn the upstairs bedroom into a studio someday (it needs electrical work). But for now, I'll sacrifice a wall of my bedroom.

      Delete
  4. Your cross stitch project is really impressive! I like knitting socks, I like the look of your wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like the colors, too. It's a off brand, though, and I wouldn't recommend it - several knots so far, which in a long color change yarn are not much fun. For this type of yarn, I'll stay with Treking XXL from now on.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.