Sunday, December 6, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching - December 6, 2020

It's been a decent week this week.  My holiday gifts are starting to arrive.  I'm trying to wrap as they come in.  Last year, I was frantically trying to wrap and get out the door on Christmas Day.  Not good.  Procrastination rarely is.  It helps that I'm not doing handmade gifts this year.  As the grandkids get older, they are more inclined to want what their friends want or what they see on TV.  Cool things that Mimi makes are less in demand.  At some point, I hope that changes back. 

At about six hours, Dutch Beauty is looking good.  I made quite a bit of progress this week on the lily vase.  One thing I found really odd on the second set of lily flowers.  As a mentioned a while back, the original stitcher had spacing issues on this motif.  The side of the flower petals are crammed up right against the lion's paw on the right.  But on that same flower on the opposite side, the bud is smaller and somewhat truncated.  Unlike the first set of flowers, they aren't symmetrical.  Why didn't she use the smaller flower on both sides to help with the spacing issue?  Oddities in doing an reasonably exact replica of historic needlework.....

The socks are also coming along nicely.  I have a full repeat done on both socks in addition to the set up partial repeat from last week, plus another half of repeat on sock #1.  The pattern is showing up now.   It's nice and textured.


I was so chuffed to get my Celtic Christmas back from the framers.  They did an excellent job of re-stretching the needlework and put it under glass.  They were able to reuse the mats from when it was on display as a shop model at my former LNS.  I'm so glad that she gave it back to me when she retired and closed the shop.

Linking up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching (link to the week's roundup).

10 comments:

  1. your stitchery and your socks will keep you busy today for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I'm also trying to organize my needlework, knitting and quilting supplies. Since I have a bad habit of just stuffing everything into bins willy nilly, it is a mess! But it's fun to play with all the pretty things.

      This won't be a one weekend project, but I did make a pretty good dent in the needlework stuff yesterday.

      Delete
  2. That knitting pattern looks H A R D!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice texture pattern, isn't it? I have to work from a chart, but I'm used to that with lace or cables or colorwork. A weaver would call it a 'diaper' pattern; it's interlocking diamonds.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    Lovely stitching. And I envy you your knitting. I've tried to teach myself to knit for years...but can't do it. I do crochet, but knitting...nope. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitting is my first craft. I don't remember learning, so it was probably kindergartenish age. I admire people who can crochet. I technically know how and have done several projects (see the afghan mending a post or two back), but have to reacquaint myself with how to make the stitches each time.

      Delete
  4. Wow...I strive to make socks some day---those ones look complicated and very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recommendation is to make a pair of house socks or slippers with worsted weight or Aran weight yarn and about size 4 or 5 US needles. That lets you get the construction down without having to worry about skinny yarn and tiny needles. And if you haven't done any knitting in the round before, do a hat first, so you can get used to that even before tackling the big socks.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.