Saturday, January 1, 2022

Rebooting the Needlework Rotation for 2022

First of the year.  In some ways, this year has zipped by; it doesn't feel that long since my last yearly reboot!
 
Overall, 2021 was a great year for needlework.  I had 8 finishes and got the UFO pile down to just two items (both in the "not counted thread" category).   The kit stash went from 137 to 121 as in addition to things going into the current rotation (and getting finished!), I also unkitted a number of things and returned the materials to the general stash.   These were projects that no longer appeal or were partial kits that only had a few bits assembled.   Those unkitted projects with specific charms/bead packs/containers that I still want to do eventually are now in their own "to be kitted - chart packs" section of the stash page.
 
I achieved the majority  of my needlework goals for 2021.  I didn't get the "Four Elements" set framed, and there was one unmet goal on my 2021 WIPGO board - the KCHSG tape measure case.  I'm proud of the fact that all my 2021 finished things got FFO'd or framed - also got an older piece and my Teresa Wentzler piece that I finished at the end of 2020 professionally framed.   (With the caveat that "Moon Garden" is currently at the framers.)

As far as the rotation goes, I will continue with the current line up.  Even though I've added a couple of slots over the last two years, it's still working for me.  This where I'm starting the year and some thoughts on my goals for 2022.
  • Antique/Vintage Sampler/Smalls:  Dutch Beauty.  Just the large center motif with the waterbirds, cattails and swan family remaining to do on the bottom row.  One full and two  ONE partial pages to go.  Goal is a half page or more per rotation.

  • Full Coverage:  JC's USMC seal.  Going to use this for the "Full Coverage Fanatics" challenges until it is done.   I plan to work on it for 15 min a day in addition to some focus time at the end of each rotation. (tried the 15 minutes a day during Rotation #1 (Jan - March) but didn't like all the set up and put away every day and I felt like 15 minutes in I was just hitting my stride!)  For Rotation #2 I'm going to try a dedicated day (Friday) and see if I like that better. (I did and will continue with #FullCoverageFriday).    DONE and FRAMED

  • Pictorial: The Plaza Sewing Bag.  Working on the cityscape on the front of the bag.  Long way to go on this one; there are two more large buildings, a tall light post, a potted tree, and the horse and carriage with driver and rider remaining on this side (plus the border).  Goal is just to make progress, this is a very intense stitch with lots of specialty stitches and over one.

  • Modern Sampler/Smalls:   I have picked out a few smaller projects from the stash and have them on a WIPGO board for 2022.  The WIPGO called squares will determine the order that I do them in.
    • KCHSG tape measure case (assembly) - left over from 2021 board
    • Hinzeit "Bees" (done in Jan and framed in March)
    • Mill Hill Heather Angel ornament (beads and silk ribbon embroidery)
    • Charland/Shepherd's Bush/Just Nan "1999 Collaboration Band Sampler" (3 parts)
    • Several of the Victoria Sampler Learning series Christmas ornaments - blocks for a quilted wall hanging (need 9, have 3 4 5 6 done, have the kits for the remaining blocks)
  • Other than Counted Thread: Unicorn Pillow.  I'm debating not stitching the corner rose motifs and just doing a textured stitch (or even simple basketweave) for all the area outside the 'cameo' that is around the unicorn's head, which would move the project along much quicker.  DONE

  • Finish and Frame (last weekend of each month for the items I do myself):  Main goal is to keep up with new finishes by working on finishing/framing the last weekend of each month.
    • Moon Garden (professionally framed - currently at the framers)
    • Stumpwork Dragonfly Shadowbox (professionally framed)
    • Four Elements (as a set with matching frames - professionally framed)
    • go through the 'under the bed' box again.  (NOTE:  Logged on the spreadsheet and prioritized.) Try framing for myself on a couple of smaller things. 
  • BBDweekendSAL (first weekend of the month and each #24HoCS):  I will continue to work down the stash of Loose Feathers kits.   Working on them in no particular order, just choosing what appeals.  Current project is "Autumn Silhouette".  I'm planning on making it into a project bag if I can find a good quilting fabric to go with it. DONE, and "Their Song" DONE and FRAMED

     
     In addition to the above, I'm planning on continuing to participate in #24HoursOfCrossStitch / #24HoCS.  My goal there is 12 finishes over the course of the year.   I think I can do that if I count each of the VS quilt blocks as a finish.
     
     Hopefully this is enough variety to keep me motivated and moving forward this year. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on all your finishes in 2021 and good luck with your projects in 2022. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.