Sunday, July 17, 2022

#24 Hours of Cross Stitch - July 2022 and Slow Sunday Stitching - July 17, 2022

OK, so this weekend isn't the "official" 24 HoCS virtual retreat.   But those of you who have been watching me for a while know that July is my big annual project/filing.   And it's always due right around the weekend that @JenLee chooses for the retreat every year.   This year, we file on Monday the 25th, so there's no way that I can take off the prior Friday for the official retreat 7/22 - 7/24.  So I'm moving it back a week and doing my own thing LOL.  Since I'm pretty much obligated to be in the distant office on Monday, I'm also going to run my 'weekend' from Thursday after work to Sunday afternoon (leaving the Sunday evening hours to get ready for the work week and get to bed on time).

I do have a family event Friday afternoon.  My grandson has been at theater camp the last three weeks and their final project is a short play or two.

My usual line up for the virtual retreat is as follows:

  1. Finish the ten hours on the current slot in the rotation:   This time the current rotation piece is Dutch Beauty.
  2. Do five hours on the BBD project:  I finished "Their Song" over the 4th of July holiday weekend and won't choose another project for #BBDweekendSAL until August.   What I DO have is the  BBD finish ("Autumn Silhouette") that I want to FFO as a project bag. 
  3. Dealer's choice for the rest of the weekend -  work on anything that calls for my attention:  This time, that will be my USMC seal full coverage project. 
     
    As mentioned above, the first project for any #24HoCS is to finish up on the ten hour slot for the current rotation project.   Since I just finished the "not counted thread" slot on Tuesday, I've only put in 4 hours so far this week on the "Historic" slot in the rotation.  I got the 'grass' in along the center and right side of the 'nest' area and the 'sticks' on Page S/19.  Going to continue on with the cattails, sedge and water iris on that page. 
    Where I'm starting on DB, 4 hours of 10 completed
     
    And here is ten hours on DB. Not quite a page finish, but darn close.   I have one more stem to finish, with a large yellow water iris and one more cattail - second from the right.  
     
     
    Now I'm working on JC's USMC seal.   Three more of the over one letters, the backstitching between the blue and gold borders (inner and outer) and the banner in the eagle's beak is all that's left
     
    Where I'm starting on the USMC Seal.  

     

    I am SO CLOSE to a finish.   I'll keep working on this after I check out the SSS crew (current link party).
     
    For the record, the plays were super cute and Carl even had one speaking line!  And he ran the lighting board.  He was very unenthusiastic about this camp originally, but ended up loving it and wants to do it again, but only for tech.  He has zero interest in acting per se. 
     
     I knit on the hat while waiting for the curtain and between the plays, at the restaurant when the family went out to dinner afterwards etc, and got a good start.
    While I picked up a couple of 'OK' fabrics at the quilt shop, they aren't the perfect fabrics, so I'll keep looking.  I put enough time into the needlework for the project bag that I don't want to use just 'OK' fabrics for it.

9 comments:

  1. Your stitching projects are amazing - so much detail! Sounds like a good camp for your grandson - he discovered something he does want to get more experience in. Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a retired military family, your USMC seal just about brought me to tears of admiration. My husband was beyond impressed and very touched. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. it's been a labor of love for my son and will be framed and given to him on the USMC birthday in November. Thank you and your family for their service.

      Delete
  3. The seal is just about done and Dutch Beauty is getting closer to the fishing line too. So many stitches in both…labours of love!
    Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Seal is almost done, you must be so pleased! Is this for your son? I'm wondering how you will finish it, frame it perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's for JC. My son is a Marine combat vet. He's out of the Corps now, thankfully. I'm going to get it professionally framed with a circular mat.

      Delete
  5. How much fun that you have been having working on these projects. They look amazing. Have a great week and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of your stitching! I like the yarn you are knitting with. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.