Sunday, February 12, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching - February 12, 2023

Things have finally started to calm down a bit at the office, so there was quite a bit of crafting this week.   Since I got the Sugar Skull to a good place with 20 hours in on it, I switched my focus more to the rotation piece - which is the Plaza Sewing Bag.   I put in almost five hours this week and I am getting quite close to having the street scene done - just the two tiny (but very detailed) figures of the carriage driver with his reins, and his passenger, a stitching lady, yet to do.   The clock face (date) and carriage door (initials) will go in at the last, as will the beads and metallic threads.    

I am still working on the Sugar Skull on Full Coverage Fridays though.  This week I put in two hours and got in 420 stitches.   I'll take a picture again once the outlining is finished.   That will probably be in a couple of weeks as I'm not even to the center point on the 'forehead' yet.  I put in the heart and two dots motif at the very top and started the right hand curvy bits.

And the socks are DONE!  I need to remember that I like solid and semi-solid sock yarns best; but I'm not sorry I bought and knit up these striped ones.  I do like the colors and they are a comfortable fit.

The next knitting project will be a sweater, so this afternoon I will start swatching the brown heather Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool and maybe even cast on a sleeve!   So exciting.   This will be an oversized 'sweatshirt' fitting sweater, so there will be a lot of knitting in it.  Here's the wool - the cream is for some colorwork in the yoke; pattern to be designed.   I will be knitting this one from the bottom up ala Elizabeth Zimmermann, so there's some time to think about the design over the shoulders as the sleeves and body inch up towards the underarms and the start of the yoke

Linking up with the SSS crew (here is the current roundup).


8 comments:

  1. That is a lovely brown yarn for your new sweater. LOVE those stripey socks! Your cross stitch street scene is lovely with its elegant vibe. Fabulous you were able to enjoy a lot more stitching time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cross stitch project and cool striped socks, Karla. Looking forward for seein your sweater. Have a nice week and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did get lots done this week. Work can really interfere with our crafting!!! Great socks and I can’t wait to see the sweater as it grows! Not much to do on the bag. Happy stitching to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there is a plenty yet to go on the sewing bag - this is just the front! There's still the embroidered back and then the top ruffle border that goes all the way around still to stitch. Then there's putting the entire thing together!

      Delete
  4. Last comment from Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those socks. You're designing your own sweater?! I can't even finish one I have been working on for a looong time from a pattern. I am looking forward to seeing that carriage driver and his passenger. Enjoy all of your slow stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a lot of ways it's easier to design your own sweater than to modify a pattern to fit, which I often had to do in the past Designers are a lot better about size inclusive patterns now than they used to be. I'll try to document the design decisions and include some notes on sources. But that will probably not be in SSS as there probably isn't a lot of interest from the group members as a whole.

      Delete
  6. Colourwork knitting, that sounds rather clever! I'll have to wait and see what design you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.