Thursday, May 4, 2023

Rotation Changeover - 2023 Rotation #2, Slot 5 (Not Counted Thread) completed

 My vintage crewel piece, "Majestic Eagle" is looking a lot less scattered these days.   When I brought him into the rotation, he only had the bottom branch and his feet and beak completely done.  Because I was working in color order, there were random feathers everywhere partially done.  

With his entire head and back wing completed, he is looking quite handsome at the end of ten hours, I think.  Still quite a few random patches, but he will get there.

I have all of next week before I start my vacation.  I am staying home, but I intend to do a virtual retreat the first weekend - 5/12 (starting at 5 pm) thru 5/15.  This will replace #25HoursOfCrossStitch that I didn't have a chance to do back at the end of April. 

I've committed to working the entire time on just two projects:  My Day Complete and the Sugar Skull.  I'm really hoping for a finish on the Kathy Barrick piece.  We'll see - there's at least a third of it left to do, including most of the lettering. 

Between now and then, I'm going to keep working on the Eagle.   I'm going to start filling in the front wing from bottom to top, though I may fill in a bit more of that upper edge just to 'connect the dots' a bit more.   

I was getting a little distortion of the fabric from how dense the satin stitch is in that back wing, so I dug out my stitch clips and that solved the problem by applying a bit of side tension. The ground fabric on this is a very heavy cotton plain weave - very nearly light canvas weight, so it's a rather hard stitch.   I can't work on it for more than a half hour or so at a time before my hands start complaining.  So I probably won't get through the entire slot of ten more hours in the next week, but I'll try.

Here's where I started for comparison:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.