Saturday, May 6, 2023

FINISHED SEWING PROJECT: Summer Doorhanger "Painted Lady" by Just Nan

Back in the 1990s Just Nan did a series of small ornament sized patterns.   This was a great marketing idea since you had to buy the charm for each one even though the pattern itself was free.  I did five of them, four on light fabric that I think I'll put together as a cube pincushion, and this one on a dark green linen.

Pattern:  "Painted Lady" by Just Nan

28 count linen in "Jade" hand dyed by Christine exclusive

DMC threads and Mill Hill beads as charted

Stitching finished 3/29/2000 

Backing fabric - vintage Cranston VIP quilting cotton from the stash

Decided to finish it as a door hanger mini-pillow.   Appropriate for Easter and general summer use.  I used the YouTube tutorial from Vonna Pfeiffer, the Twisted Stitcher (link to the tutorial), modified for hand stitching.  After the front and back were prepared as per the tutorial, I turned under a quarter inch seam allowance on each and mitered the corners.  I then placed the front and back WRONG sides together and ladder stitched them together from the front.   Stuffing and closing the back as per the tutorial.

I also modified the hanger to go from corner to corner instead of a centered hanger since it's going over a doorknob, not a skinny tree branch, and omitted the button and bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.