Sunday, March 10, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching - March 10, 2024 and getting started on the March WIPGO slots

First of all, I need some color advice from the quilter people.    I bought a jelly roll of Christmas fabric for the wall quilt made of the Victoria Sampler ornaments that I finished last year (Holly Berry Tree Farm by Deb Strain for Moda).  I plan to use it to sash the blocks.  Two of them were called for my WIPGO picks for March (you can also see the jelly roll laid out in that post.)

I'll be doing the 'quilt as you go' technique where the sashed blocks are joined with a thin 'window pane' of half inch finished strips.  I think I'll do those in white tone on tone front and back.  

Here's the tentative layout.   I'm pretty firm on where the centers are going, though I do wish that top one had some color in it, it's really too late to do anything about it now.  But the sashing is still up in the air - good colors?   Good mix?  Suggestions welcome!   I do have a strip of the cardinal on a black background, snowflakes print on a green black, white poinsettia on red background.  And a bunch of directional and typography prints plus buffalo plaids that are not really useful for this project.  (They will go into the materials for the Christmas random block quilt.)

Need to get the sashing pinned down so I can start sewing!

ETA:  Thank you, Gail, for your suggestion.  checkerboard mock up

I think this is the final version.   Brought that white diamond down to the middle and sashed it with the lighter green, brought in a tone on tone green from the stash and moved the hearts into a vertical row.  Swapped the poinsettia sashings to be in opposite corners. 

On the needlework front, I am Very Close to getting the March section of the Birdhouse SAL done - just the backstitching on the fence.  And there's another 'trail and butterfly' motif sort of between the March and April sections that I might as well do while I'm in the area.   Look for a changeover post later today.  (ETA:  That post is here.)

Linking up with the SSS crew, hoping for advice.

6 comments:

  1. Hi. Do you have enough green to make five green sashings and then do a checkerboard layout, alternating between red and green in each row? The white will add nice separation between the blocks. I like your month by month cross stitch project! Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I tried a checkerboard and updated my post. See what you think

      Delete
  2. I love how your Christmas project is looking with the red and green sashings! You might be able to find a white background with little red and green Christmas prints for the section that ties the blocks together. The Birdhouse SAL is a lovely design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the placement of the green fabrics in the second photo. I love that Jardin Privé design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your embroidered blocks are beautiful, and it seems you are now on the home stretch with the sashing choices. This is going to be so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to seeing that quilt when you finish it. I love how your cross stitch is progressing. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.