Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Quilt WiP: "Aunt Lottie's Garden" - EPP set 9

Next to the last set of English Paper Pieced hexagon flowers.  Looking at the finished block, I almost wish I had fussy cut those outer hexagons.   But none of the other sets, even the vintage ones, are fussy cut, so just one block out of thirty plus would probably have looked strange.



With the large white flowers in this fabric, I didn't want too much white on the outer edge of the applique because the background fabric is a soft white.   I was afraid that there would be no visual 'edge' if white touched white too much.   So I was trying to turn each hexi to put 'leaf' or 'background' on the outer edge as much as possible.

I had to 'unstitch' two of the hexis because I wasn't paying attention to the orientation.  And let me tell you, I had sewn these sets SNUG!   I'm doing about 28 whip stitches to the inch or so.  That is probably unnecessarily close, but seems to be where my EPP falls naturally.   They don't come apart easily.

But despite the delay of having to 'frog', this project is coming along well.  I'll cut the last set of fabrics tomorrow after work.   I'm on track to have all the EPP done by the end of the month.

On the other WiPs - got the gusset done on the second sock.  I'd forgotten how much slower this pattern is than my usual sock patterns.   I'm using four yarns in a spiral fashion, which means changing yarns every time you change needles.  All the extra yarn management really bogs the knitting down.

ready for feet!
And I'm well into the third side of the box construction on the "Skating Santa".   There's cording after this, but the cording was made at camp and is all ready to go on once I get the rest of the construction on the form done.

Linking back to Jo's Country Junction UFO challenge.

3 comments:

  1. it is very hard to unstitch hexies - I have done that and at times ended up tossing a couple and starting over rather than unstitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pleasantly surprised at just how sturdy it was. It rivaled any machine stitching in my other quilt tops! I always thought hand stitching was fairly fragile. But then antique and vintage work is still around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way the flowers were naturally shown on your hexies. And your blue socks is pretty good and look to be warm. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.