Saturday, January 20, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 4

Block #4 is another traditional block - this time a 2 bar rail fence in a 9 patch grid that Pat calls "Cobblestones".   Twelve inch (finished) block; that means 4 inch finished units.

Rail Fence blocks work best with a fairly high contrast between the two fabrics and low contrast within each type of fabric - light and dark.   They make very nice two color quilts, or scrappy quilts and everything in between.   Pat shows this block in two fabrics, and I'm going to mirror that.

When I pulled apart the old tied quilt, I was originally going to only salvage part of the blocks, but decided to keep the old sashing as well; it was 3.5 inches wide, finished.   Once I had all the blocks pulled out I just cut the sashing apart and discarded most of the tapered ends where the miters came together.  I was left with a bunch of pieces that look like this

Hello units for a rail fence.   If I just put the 2.25 inch line on the ruler along the existing seam line, I should be able to cut nine completed units without much trouble.  

And with half the seams sewn in advance, the block went together very quickly.
Solstice Block #4

The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.