Sunday, September 2, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching - Sept 2, 2018

Good morning, Slow Sunday Stitchers.

Long weekend for Labor Day in the US this week, so I'm off work tomorrow.   All the yard work is caught up (with the rain we have been getting, the grass has greened back up and I'm having to mow a BUNCH).   So after church today, I should have some good crafting time.

Got the rest of my 10 hours in plus a bit more on Millennium.   (Click here for the 'before and after' shots.)
As you can see, I finished off the lower robe and under tunic on the left, the lower robe on the right, both torch poles, and the little bit on the sword hilt.   When this comes back up in the rotation, I'll finish off the under tunic on the right and then work on the lower wings on both angels.  

Dutch Beauty is up next in the rotation.  

I am still working on the test knit.  It's lace; moose lace to be sure, but it still needs a chart and markers and concentration.  So it's not portable.   And I haven't got the pieces cut out yet for the hand pieced Carpenter's Star.  So I cast on a pair of socks in order to have a travel project.   Just cuffs at this point.
"Moose Lace" you ask?   It's lace done with much larger yarn and needle size than is traditional.   In this case DK yarn and size 9 needles.   I'm not sure where the term came from, but I first came across the term in a pattern by Jackie at HeartStrings Fiber Arts.   It doesn't block out flat nearly as much as finer, more traditional lace, so the decreases are more textural and the yarn over holes tend to be smaller in proportion.   It still gives a nice, open look, though. 

I'll show pictures of that project when it's published.  I can say that I'm close to the halfway mark, though.

This week Kathy challenged us to show the view from our outdoor stitching spot.  Usually I would be a couple of feet further north in my vintage rocker, but that yielded photos of the inside of the screens of my three season porch - very uninspiring.  So I opened up the screen door and took a picture from there.   I have a lovely view of the neighbors' gardens and my leafy, shaded street.


 So drop by Kathy's blog and see what all the SSS crew is up to and what they see from where they stitch as the temperatures start to become more reasonable.

8 comments:

  1. Great idea to rotate labour intensive projects!
    A lovely view to enjoy while you stitch... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using a rotation is the only way that I cope with large needlework projects; if I get too bored, it gets put aside. Ten hours is enough that I see some progress, but still sort of regret putting it away. Then when it comes up again in a couple of months, I'm excited to get moving on it again.

      This might not work for everyone, but it works well for me.

      Delete
  2. Wow you sure have made some progress on Millennium, nice start to your socks and a great view to have while stitching outside. Have a safe and happy labor day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. I worked a bit more than 10 hours on Millennium, since I skipped it last time, but not a full 20. That made for some nice progress. I do like how the angels are coming together - wings next time this project comes up in the rotation!

      Delete
  3. I am sitting in my backyard gazebo ...just about to work on my FLW project with your thread! Your angels have really come along in this rotation. Cozy looking start to the socks too. Take care. Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. I got a bit inspired on the Millennium piece over my vacation and put in quite a bit of time on it last month. Remarkable how working on a project will result in progress (most of the time). LOL. I like putting each slot in the rotation 'to bed' while I still want to work on it. That makes it easy to pick it back up in a month or two when it comes back around.

      Delete
  4. I'm like you I work on a project and after a few days/weeks I move on to something different so I don't get bored. You have a very complicated project on the go but it is looking truly amazing! And your outdoor craft place looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa Wentzler's designs are complex, but so very satisfying to work on (and finish). This is the second of her designs I have done, but there are several more kitted up in the stash. Thanks for the compliment on it; the over one was SO worth the trouble!

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.