Saturday, February 23, 2019

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 22 - sneak peak

I have mentioned that I'm running short of blue fabric.   I have only four blocks left to make plus some pieced sashing which can use up 2.5 inch or larger scraps and some longer runs of one color sashing.   I do have some plain solid medium blue, which I hope to use in the one color sashing and on the backing.  There's plenty of the light rose print and dark rose solid to use for both the sashing and backing as well, though I do plan to minimize it on the front of the quilt.

But the problem is those four blocks - well ONE of those four blocks.   I'm going to substitute one of the original quilt blocks in (though not the one I'd originally planned to), there's a 16 patch that I can just remake with some new neutral from an existing 16 patch, and the last block I think I have enough of the tone on tone floral for. 

But this block is a doozy.  It's 24 x 24 finished.   And the pieces in it are scaled up, too - big 5 to 8 inch square pieces.  This is just not going to happen with the fabric I do have left.   I've spent some time pondering the question.  And decided to look at big blocks I can make with one of my existing blocks.

There's this from the original quilt.

A hand pieced Lemoyne star.  That I was originally going to substitute it for Block 24.  But.....  this particular block is also used as the center of a classic Carpenter's Wheel block.   Now Carpenter's Wheel quilts come in two varieties: a modern, simplified version made out of half square triangles, or the antique version made out of equilateral (equal sided) diamonds that are 45 degree angles at the narrow point.  I'm obviously going with the classic version here.

I'm going to take the background fabric out, re-cut with the new background fabric and cut a bunch of these diamonds out of the old blue sashing, since it's the only medium blue that I have enough of (I hope).    I sure hope it turns out close to the right size!!! 

A lot of bias edges and Y seams means that this whopper of block will be hand pieced.   Luckily, since I found the book from the original class, I can remake the template for the diamonds.   Poor Aunt Lottie's Garden applique will be going back into hibernation while I tackle this.  In the mean time, I have plenty of machine work yet to do on this quilt.


The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

2 comments:

  1. I have a hand pieced UFO that I started in the 80ks and will likely never finish. It was blue, dusty rose, cream, and minty green. Not my colours at all now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yep. Luckily, I still rather like these colors, though I'm shooting for a blue and white quilt with rose accents. Click back to the Intro (link in the next to the last line) for why this quilt is being re-created and not trashed. I just can't bring myself to throw it away or turn it into dog bedding.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.