Wednesday, May 4, 2022

FINISHED SEWING PROJECT: Redwork Pin Pillow "GVS 1888; an orphan sampler"

Finishing weekend for April spilled over into May, but that's OK, I have a Finished Object!  I have been watching all the cute tomato and red-work pincushions that people have been making since several patterns/books with redwork smalls were released at market this spring.   I am especially enamored with "Keeper of the Pins" by Brenda Gervais.  

I realized that I had an appropriately pin pillow sized unfinished red work piece in the 'pile of shame' / 'under the bed box' / 'secrets of the cedar chest' (or whatever you call that pile of "completed" needlework things that need to be framed or fully finished).   



Needlework was completed June 2000 per the list in my little notebook in the KCHSG smalls box. "GVS 1888" orphan sampler from Antique Sampler and Needlework Quarterly magazine, Issue #13.

28 count coffee dyed Cashel linen (dyed by me), one over one in Waterlillies Silk by Caron Collection.  Approximately 3.5 inches / 9 cm square.

Finished as a pin pillow using the tutorial by @elizabethanncanstitch (link to YouTube tutorial).  I did the variation that she discusses with the four sections of rickrack.

Here's the unfinished piece, the vintage Debbie Mumm fabric used for the back and the very nearly antique cotton rick rack.   From stash (mine and mom's).  Stuffed with fiber fill.  I do want to try the lizard litter filling at some point. 



2 comments:

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.