Monday, September 4, 2023

FINISHED NEEDLEWORK: "Heirloom Santa: Canine" by Willmaur

 Here's the first of the four 'Santa with animals' perforated paper kits.   These were popular in the late 1990s and unlike the modern Mill Hill kits in the same design style, do not have any beads or embellishments other than the beards and tassels made out of floss.   This makes them great for a travel project.

There was a delay on the finishing on this one - for no particular reason other than I wasn't in the mood to mess with glue.   But last night I realized that the stitching has been finished for a month and I needed to stop procrastinating!   So I got the beard and tassel made and the backing glued on, let it dry overnight under a weight (ie heavy book) and cut it out this morning.   

The only change I made was to the backstitching on the black and white dog to define the legs better.  That old school block style backstitching definitely dates the designs a bit, but Santa is always in fashion!

I have already set up the next one as my current travel project - it has a horse!


2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like the tassel on his hat and the beard. Is this for your tree or will it be a gift? Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's for my tree. I have a dozen or so of these little kits in the stash. After I finish the four 'animal' ones, I have ones picked out in honor of my late parents and in-laws (for their hobbies/interests, etc). I'll be working on these for a while LOL.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.