Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year AND re-booting the needlework rotation

 


2023 saw mostly stitching on the crafting front.   I did finish a few small knitted projects (a cowl, a pair of socks, a couple of charity hats), and there was good progress on the brown sweater, but I only removed a little over 1000 yards of yarn from the knitting yarn stash since I only count yarn used for fully finished and blocked projects.   And there was very little quilting, though I'm not giving up on quilts since I hope to have more time for them once I retire.  

But there was quite a bit of needlework.  I finished 12 projects last year.  In that 12, half were getting previously stitched items to fully finished or framed status, and only one project where I finished the stitching in this year did not make it to fully finished or framed status.   The "Under the Bed Box" currently contains 43 items and will be the focus of my WIPGO board in 2024.   The Needlework Stash is down to 109 kitted projects.  (101 fully kitted and 8 partial kits).   I did add one partially kitted project - the "Heart and Home Patchwork" that was a mystery sampler in Loose Feathers 31-34.  I have the patterns and fabric, but need to figure out the flosses.  I purchased, kitted up and started one project - the Birdhouses SAL.

So what does the current Needlework rotation look like?   I added a slot (guilty pleasure stitching) this year to be able to participate in the #octtooctSAL for Stitch West in October (I hope to be able to go this year - saving my pennies).  But basically I am still using my four slot / 10 hours per slot rotation that has worked for me for the last several years.  Once I retire, I will evaluate the possibility of splitting the pictorial slot into two categories - "Fancy Folk" and "Full Coverage".   I have a dozen Mira, L&L, Dimensions fairies, mermaids, ladies, etc either kitted, partially kitted or in the 'patterns to kit' queue.  I'd like to see some progress on them, but I still want to do a full coverage.

1)  HISTORIC counted thread (includes historic inspired/prim designs as well as actual reproductions).   Current project is Blackbird Designs - Loose Feathers #34 "Two Hearts" (small version) to be finished as a needlebook.  Charted flosses on 56 count fabric, one over two / full cross

2) MODERN counted thread (includes ornaments and counted canvas needlepoint).  Current project is the "KC Plaza Sewing Bag" exclusive kit from 2003 that goes with my KC Guild smalls.  Design by local designer Wildflower Cottage Creations. Charted DMC, metalics and beads.  30 count cream linen from the kit - lots of specialty stitches, some one over one, some two over two

the second side

3) PICTORIAL counted thread (Fancy Folk, landscapes, and full coverage).  Current project is "Sugar Skull 1" from MagicCrossStitch on etsy.  Charted DMC on 28 count pale blue Lugana - one over one / full cross.  It is a full coverage project, though since it has an irregular outline with no background, it does not qualify for the Full Coverage Fanatics Facebook group.

4) NOT COUNTED THREAD (crewel, surface embroidery, buttonhole cutwork, traditional painted canvas needlepoint).  Current project is "Majestic Eagle" aka "Eagle in the Pines", a vintage crewel kit.

SAL) "Au Fils Des Nichoirs" aka "Birdhouses" by Jardin Prive.  Stitch Along is monthly through October 2024. Charted DMC on 40 count Zweigart "Vintage Country Mocha", one over two / full cross. If I go to the Stitch West retreat (or any other retreats or classes), the class projects will also fall into "Guilty Pleasure" stitching to be worked on after the monthly part of the #octtooctSAL is finished. I work on this starting on the first of each month until the assigned section is complete.

I'm getting close to a stitching finish on the Sugar Skull and the BBD piece.  The eagle is a couple of rotations out since I have a fair bit of foliage to do after I get his tail feathers done.  The sewing bag is the furthest from completion; I have the rest of the second side and then the border all the way around (5 repeats on each side), then the metallics and beading.

As far as plans go, the Birdhouse SAL is the only thing I'm participating in other than Slow Sunday Stitching.  I'm not doing #24 Hours of CrossStitch this year nor did I do 12 x 12 yesterday.   After all the trouble I have been having with my hands (including a painful cortisone shot), I learned that I simply can't do marathon stitching or knitting any longer.  That's something I will have to watch when I go to retreats.  

My non-needlework goals 

1) finish the brown sweater.   I am working it from the bottom up and am at the underarms on the body and both sleeves.  So it's at about 2/3 completed, but I have to stop and design the colorwork for the yoke now.

2) inventory all the yarn in the stash and organize the storage bins better.  Log which bin all the yarns are in.  In general, tidy up and organize the crafting supplies. 

3) fix the button bands on Rosemarkie Waistcoat.  I was never happy with the way the buttonholes looked and the buttons themselves need twill tape backing because they are heavy enough to distort the knitted fabric. It should make it through this winter season, and I'll do the fix after I wash and block it this spring.


3 comments:

  1. I think I learned that lesson too! My hands are very sore after the marathon 12x12 and I won't do that again. It was fun to try it though! I look forward to following your wonderful stitchy plans this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that your hands hurt. Rest and ice can help. When I was younger, I could knit or stitch for hours without a break. Not any more. Lots of breaks to stretch and get up and do something else for 10 or 15 minutes is my strategy.

      Delete
  2. I usually have several different types of projects on the go at any one time … prevents repetitive strain injuries and keeps things interesting. You have lots to keep you busy. When do you retire? I have been retired for over 4 years now and do not miss working at all! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.